Discover Margaret Island as part of a guided sightseeing river cruise in Budapest. You can enjoy a 1-4 hour break on Margaret Island by using the hop on hop off options included in the guided river cruises during day time cruising (please check the inclusions, depending on seasons, before booking). The cruise fee includes several free vouchers for attractions on Margaret Island Budapest.
Cruises offering to spend some time on Margaret Island: Cruise & Guide on Panorama Boat.
Cruise Hours with Margaret Island break:
- 10.15 am river cruise on panorama boat (May-Sep)
- 11 am river cruise on panorama boat (March-Oct)
- 11.45 am river cruise on panorama boat (May-Sep)
- 12.30 pm river cruise on the Danube (March-Oct)
- 1.15 pm river cruise on panorama boat (May-Sep)
- 2 pm sightseeing cruise with guide (March-Oct)
- 2.45 pm river cruise on panorama boat (May-Sep)
- 3.30 pm afternoon sightseeing boat (March-Oct)
- 4.15 pm river cruise on panorama boat (May-Sep)
- 5 pm cruise with guide (Apr-Sep)
- 5.45 pm river cruise on panorama boat (May-Sep)
Margaret Island Budapest
Margaret Island, one of the top ten exciting little islands in Europe, according to Guardian, is in the middle of the river Danube, where several summer boat tours make a stop over to let tourists enjoy the sights on the island.
Margaret Island is in the heart of the city, 15-20 min ride by public transport from the city center of Budapest.
The island in the Danube is perfect to enjoy a glass of wine or ice cream, or to have a romantic / fun night in summer months by the music fountain and in the open air bars. Want to feel an islander? You can book a spa hotel night in the thermal spa hotels on Margaret Island. The island is connected to the Buda and Pest side of Budapest with two bridges, the Arpad Bridge in the north, and the historical Margaret Bridge on the south (where you can use the popular streetcar number 4 and 6).
Vouchers + Cruise Ticket – Margaret Island
The guided cruises from 11 am to 5 pm include a free voucher booklet of various discounts / options, which you can use when visiting Margaret Island.
- Tourist Map of Margaret Island with cultural, historical, and fun highlights on the island, including a self guided walking tour, and information about the attractions
- Discounts on things to do on Margaret Island stopover of the river cruise in Budapest:
- 25% off Bike Rental at Bringo Hinto
- 10% off at Hotel Thermal Margitsziget Cafe & Bar
- 10% off at Grand Hotel Margitsziget Restaurant & Bar
- 10% off at the Spa of Hotel Thermal Margitsziget (pack your swimwear in your bag)
Free Sights on Margaret Island
Margaret Island is open to the general public, day and night, and you do not even have to buy tickets to enter the island. There are no gates to control the opening hours. Until 1919 the entry to the Island was not free, but since then everyone has been visiting the island for its sights, tranquility, fun and beauty free of charge.
- Music Fountain Margaret Island – gigantic fountain with music and light shows in summer months on Margaret Island
- Japanese Garden Margaret Island with Music Well Pavillion (built in 1936) with hourly music
- Water Tower Margaret Island – octagonal shaped tower in Art Nouveau style (built in 1911)
- Petting Zoo Margaret Island in summer time (Apr – Oct) with Pony rides (pony rides are not free)
- 13th Century Franciscan / Dominican Church Ruins on Margaret Island
- Running Track Margaret Island (rubber coated track) of 5350 meters (3.3 miles) around Margaret Island
- St Michael’s Chapel with lacunar ceiling founded in the 12th century
Other Sights on Margaret Island
- Palatinus Thermal Bath & Lido on Margaret Island
- Hajos Alfred Swimming Pool on Margaret Island
- Open Air Summer Theater with concerts, shows near the Water Tower
- 4 wheeled pedalling Bike Cart Rental
- Outdoor summer bars with open terraces (with big screen TVs)
- Summer Nightlife with Discos
- Picnic places with dozens of parks
- 19th Century Thermal Spa Hotel in Budapest (Grand Hotel Margitsziget)